Sunday 23 January 2011

How much for a new Scirocco?

So thinking just about the GT model, how much does the new Scirocco cost?
Well that obviously depends what options you go for, so I thought I'd have a look at the configurator, and see...

So the base model GT with Manual and 2.0 litre 210 is £24,450. Although not too bad, this no longer seems like the cheap option it was on launch, although the rise is partly due to the increase in VAT.

I then worked through the options list and selected the best, or at least the most expensive of everything. No accessories at this stage, just factory options like DSG, Leather, Sat Nav, Xenon headlights... you get the idea. And the grand total? £34,624.

Ouch.

I know you'd get some discount on that, but there is no way you can describe that as cheap anymore. And just to compare, I specified a Nissan 370Z GT (that has a starting price of £33,000) with a similar set of options and it comes to £35,950. I can see the appeal of the Scirocco over the 370Z when there is a £10k price difference, but when the difference is £1,000 I think the Scirocco is in serious trouble. The only reasons to buy the VW in this configuration are if you need the back seats.

Anyway, I know as well as anyone that the reasons for buying one car over another are complicated and personal, but if VW don't keeep the Scirocco prices keen then people are going to stop buying it.

But perhaps they don't care so much - they already make fewer Sciroccos than they can sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment