Friday 1 October 2010

Why a Scirocco?

In 2008 when Volkswagen released the new mark 3 Scirocco, I was driving this:
Volkswagen Corrado VR6 - Car No9
a 1994 VW Corrado VR6, which I'd had a couple of years although I'd always loved them. The original Scirocco never really interested me though, I'd rather have had a Capri (which I did) or a proper hot hatch (ditto - an Astra GTE). The Corrado was supposed to be a stop gap for me, to replace... well that's another story, lets just say I had £2500 and decided that a 13 year old Corrado VR6 would be a good way to spend it.

Given that it arrived with over 100 thousand miles on the clock, I was lucky - it was still fast and great fun to drive, even if the 2.9 litre lump in the front made the nose a little heavy. In the three years I had it almost nothing went wrong, although on a car that age a few things did wear out. Eventually I sold it, to a young lad who will no doubt enjoy it, and I moved on to a 10 year old X-type.
VW Corrado VR6

But every time I saw a new Scirocco on the road it made me smile, and I hoped it would be as much fun to drive as my old Corrado - and looked forward to the day that the price of them would come down to my sort of levels.

And then I though perhaps its time I had a new car. I've never bought new before and things are going ok at the moment. Now to the actual question; why a Scirocco? Look at the listings in the car mags and a few relevant reviews and answer me this; £25k or under, 0-60 in 7 or less, 2 doors but 4 proper seats, some room for luggage. There are only a couple of answers - Renaultsport Megane, Seat Leon, Golf GTI, and Scirocco are the obvious ones. Of these, only the Scirocco makes me smile when I see one. Let me know if I missed anything.

Through this blog I plan to detail the whole experience, from test driving, talking to dealers, choosing options, buying and running the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment